In terms of kids food, mac n cheese is the Mama of all kids faves. Kids love it because of the gooey goodness of the cheese, and we parents love it because of the importance of dairy in our growing children’s diets. It is the perfect ying and yang.
Hands-On Time: 10m
Total Time: 20m
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
1/2 pound extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well, return to pot, and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the jalapeno for 1 minute, then add the flour. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
3. Whisk in the milk and heat to boiling.
4. Add the mustard and cheeses and stir until smooth.
5. Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and toss. Heat to warm through.